Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Death of an Idea

The more I think about the writings I have seen recently on meaning in the workplace, the more outdated they seem to me. These ideas of management empowering workers is so...well...old. Think about it for a moment. Is the world not moving away from the concept of worker, the idea of drones? And have we the people not moved beyond the limited mindscape of some management team letting us do something? It feels so WWII not Gen X and Gen Y. In a world of social media and small business and entrepreneurial spirit, even in large major corporations have we not moved beyond these rusted hulk ideas?

1 comment:

  1. "Empowerment" = you get a paycheck to work consistently and at great length within the corporate/institutional vision. "Entrepreneurship" = you get to scoff at empowerment and work for no pay (but "great exposure"). (I love this topic -- don't get me going on it...) Susan

    ReplyDelete